Company: CHEMICAL SECTOR.
A multinational chemical company with 3 production plants in Spain. The Operating Director was concerned about how to further reduce maintenance costs of the plants when they had already been reducing the administration fees from contractors for years.
An Analysis of the maintenance process was conducted and it detected highly unproductive contractors, due to poor management and the suppliers’ lack of involvement in the overall results (plant availability and costs).
- The distribution of plant maintenance between company employees and contractors was rationalised.
- New comprehensive maintenance contracts were defined, negotiated and were started, depending on the type of service and the plant.
- The initial number of contractors was reduced from 27 to 9 contractors.
- A total savings of € 800,000 was achieved based on a negotiated € 5.2 million.
- Maintenance management improved, and the contractor went to work aimed at achieving the plant’s overall objectives (availability and cost).